Skip to content ↓

Free School Meals

Your child may be entitled to a free school meal if you receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit run-on
  • Universal Credit

Please click on the link below for more information.



It is very important for you to still register for FSM (Free School Meals) even if your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and receives a free meal, as the school receives additional funding to help with your child’s education.


We recognise that the changing economic climate is placing pressure on all families and for some this is significant. In order to ensure that we continue to support all learners I would like to bring to your attention the following schemes for families and students. 


Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) and Free School Meals (FSM)

This is funding given to schools for students who are registered for free school meals. At present the school receives £985 per student and this extends to all students who may have been eligible for and were in receipt of free school meals in the last six years. In the academic year 2021-2022 the school would have received a total of £163,610. A sum like this can make a significant difference to the quality of provision a school is able to provide and subsequently contributes to the life chances of our students. Details of how we spend this money and support provided to students can be found on the school website:


It is extremely important that we do all that we can to ensure that eligible students access their entitlement. The first thing that families can do is make sure they access their entitlement from the Government by registering their child for free school meals. A common misconception is that you must be on benefits to claim. Children are entitled to receive free school meals if they or their parents receive any of the following benefits:


  • Universal Credit, provided they have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month) 

  • Income Support 

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 

  • Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 

  • The guarantee element of Pension Credit 

  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC

  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit 


If you would like to submit an application for free school meals you can do so directly with Hertfordshire County Council by clicking here. More information, including other methods for applying for free school meals, is available on the school website.


No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

This Government fund provides support for families who do not meet the eligibility requirements for FSM but have an income that meets means they require financial support and meets one of the thresholds below:

  • £22,700 for families outside of London with 1 child

  • £26,300 for families outside of London with 2 or more children

  • NRPF Eligible groups

These groups include, but may not be limited to children of:

  • Zambrano carers

  • families who have no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights

  • families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are also subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction

  • a subset of failed asylum seekers supported under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

  • Chen carers

  • families holding a BN(O) passport

  • spousal visa holders

  • work visa holders

  • student visa holders

  • those with no immigration status

If you meet the criteria above, please follow this link to our website, complete the application form  and provide evidence of your income for example a payslip or P60.